Monday, January 19, 2015

Happy Birthday, Edgar Allan Poe!

Born in Boston on January 19, 1809, Edgar Allan Poe is not only notable for his groundbreaking  contributions to literature and the evolution of the literary profession, but he is also fascinating for his stranger-than-fiction personal life.

Poe's life story, with its themes of abandonment, conflict, debt, loss, addiction, tragedy and mystery, would have entirely befitted a character in the genre of dark romanticism for which he is known and loved.

The events leading up to his mysterious death in Baltimore, on October 7, 1849, remain the subject of great speculation to this day. The movie, The Raven (2012), is a fictionalized account of those last days of Poe's life, in which the author pursues a serial killer whose murders are re-enactments of his stories.

I know this film receives a lot of flak, but I couldn't care less about that. I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my husband and son. I don't want to give too much away for anyone who hasn't  seen it, but essentially, the filmmakers have taken certain known details about Poe's demise (his delirium, his dishevelled appearance,  the fact that he was not wearing his own clothing, and that he kept repeating the seemingly irrelevant name, "Reynolds") and they have concocted an utterly entertaining, escapist tale. Not to mention that it has delightful leading men in the form of John Cusack and Luke Evans, a gorgeously dark and gothic ambience, and the most deliciously satisfying ending.

I have already watched The Raven several times and look forward to watching it again this week to celebrate Edgar Allan Poe's birthday.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Poe! 




22 comments:

  1. Think I will have to give The Raven a watch! And happy birthday to him!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film has been the target of much hate, Alice, but in my opinion, it's fabulous! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't watched the movie yet. I was waiting for my Piano Man, so that we could watch it together. After reading your post, I have an intense feeling that I might cheat and watch it today. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! You're going to get me into trouble with your Piano Man now, Magaly! ;D

      Delete
  3. I also enjoyed that movie a lot! I watched it as soon as it came out and I cannot imagine anyone who is a fan of Poe's writing to have not liked The Raven! It should receive more credit in my opinion.

    http://unknownprettylies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there are others out there who enjoyed 'The Raven' as much as I did, Ellone! :)

      Delete
  4. A wonderful tribute to Mr Poe!

    John Cusack and Luke Evans... *swoon* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne! ❤

      "John Cusack and Luke Evans... *swoon*" EXACTLY!!! :D

      Delete
  5. I loved this film, ai have mentioned it several times and happy it is acting on! I just watched a recent film based on a Poe story. The film is call Stonehedge Asyllum ....
    not sure what Poe story it's based on, you may know better.
    Bend an elbow once or thrice to sad sack Poe! Poets due enjoy a sad life don't you think?
    xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a fellow fan of 'The Raven', Debi! :D

      I googled that film you mentioned. Do you mean 'Stonehearst Asylum', starring Kate Beckinsale? Apparently, it's based on Poe's short story, 'The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether', which I've never read. Did you enjoy the film?

      Yes, poets tend to be deep thinking, sensitive souls and I think that makes them suffer all the more when the sadder stuff of life is thrown at them.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Happy Birthday to one of my favorite authors!

    I watched "The Raven" also. I've seen it a couple of times and I loved it. I feel that the film handled the mysterious last days of Mr. Poe's life brilliantly by creating a very believable storyline that coincided nicely with what we do know.

    Happy Birthday indeed, Mr. Poe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed 'The Raven' too, Nightwind! I think it's appallingly underrated, which is such a shame for all those involved in making it. Hopefully, people who dismissed it because of poor reviews, might discover it on DVD and see that it really is quite a little gem.

      Delete
  7. All of us commenters obviously have very good taste in movies, because I also liked it!

    I'm usually reminded early in January that Poe's birthday is coming up by people ordering Raven napkins and paper plates for their celebrations. Not a one this year. I hope everyone isn't forgetting about poor Mr. Poe... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exceptionally good taste indeed, Insomniac's Attic!!! :D

      Oh, I hope they're not forgetting Mr. Poe too! :/ I'm going to have to go and check our your Raven napkins and paper plates now!

      Delete
  8. I liked the Raven too! It got such bad reviews though. Kind of wish there was the potential of a sequel but I guess that gets to far from the explanation of his demise at it relates to his real life... Maybe a "Return to Sleepy Hollow" with Johnny Depp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Insomniac's Attic so eloquently put it, we clearly all have exceptionally good taste, which means the reviewers don't know what they are talking about! ;D

      Poor Johnny Depp! He can't do anything at all lately without the knee-jerk Johnny-bashers coming out in force to crucify him.

      Delete
  9. Dear Lady Emma... things not so good at home....just dropped by to wish you and yours Happiness, and the best that Life has to offer.... your Friend , Stacey /"the Doctor"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you, Stacey! Best wishes and take care of yourself!

      Delete
  10. I had nothing against the production, but Cusacks hair color made him look ridiculous and 10 years older... And even thought it was true in this chase (which doesn't really make ut better) I can't stand Hollywood's obsession with pairing old guys with young girls. We call it "Geezer-sickness" in Sweden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll have to remember "Geezer-sickness"! That's brilliant!! Sadly, I don't think "Geezer-sickness" is restricted to Hollywood. And I'm feeling just a tad depressed now about you referring to John Cusack as an "old guy". ;D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!