Thursday, May 16, 2013

May Monster Madness: Day 6


The Penguin in Batman Returns

As we draw nearer to the May Monster Madness finish line, I just wanted to say how impressed I am by all the enthusiasm and hard work that so many of you have put into making this blog festival a success. I'm sure you're probably getting a little exhausted by now, but I hope you have enjoyed yourselves too! For tomorrow, the final day, I have planned a little surprise, but in the meantime...


For Day 6 of May Monster Madness, I have chosen Oswald Cobblepot (Danny DeVito), also known as the Penguin, for my "monster". Prior to the movie, Batman Returns (1992), the character of the Penguin, in comics and on TV, was portrayed as a short, rotund mobster and thief who fancied himself a "gentleman of crime". He was characterized as a man with a love of birds and a penchant for using umbrellas that invariably doubled as weapons of some kind. Tim Burton, however, re-imagined the character as a deformed outcast who, rejected by his aristocratic parents, ended up a freak-show performer. This much darker incarnation of the Penguin is grotesque and has a homicidal desire for revenge against the more affluent citizens of Gotham City.




10 comments:

  1. That whole interpretation of Batman was a lot darker than those of us who were used to the TV show had seen before. Comic book readers had some warning, but the change in the penguin is one of the most dramatic. I think Batman Returns was even darker than Batman.

    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie,

      I love 'Batman Returns'! Michelle Pfeiffer was the most spectacular Catwoman, and I adore the dark, gothic, fairy tale tone of the film, but then again, I'm totally into the Burtonesque aesthetic! :D We're all huge Batman fans in my household. We've watched the sixties series, all the animated series, and all the movies. My husband reads the comics.

      Delete
  2. The Penguin is a creepy character! Danny DeVito did a great job in that role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L.G.,

      I read somewhere that Michelle Pfeiffer was freaked out by Danny DeVito whenever he was in the Penguin makeup.

      Delete
  3. One of the weirdest, yet most impressive performanes of De Vito. Never though that the Penguin could be that creepy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maynard,

      'Batman: The Animated Series' was heavily influenced by Tim Burton's Batman movies and adopted the creepier Penguin, but I've noticed in more recent animated series, they're going back to the more traditional look. I think he makes a more menacing villain when he's Burton-style.

      Delete
  4. Danny Devito was totally awesome -- and so was Burgess Meredith from the original Batman series. Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lexa,

      I agree, Danny DeVito and Burgess Meredith were both great in their own ways! I have always loved the sixties series because it's such colourful, campy, pop culture fun!

      Delete
  5. I still need to see this film :3 It has been on my to-watch list for too long ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bazinga,

      I love 'Batman Returns'! Michelle Pfeiffer is brilliant as Catwoman. Hope you get to see it soon. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!