Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! (x 2)


Austria and Australia unite again as I team up with my good buddy, Maynard, of the fab Maynard Morrissey's Horror Movie Diary, for a little Beetlejuice fun! So here are a few of my thoughts on this awesome movie, followed by Maynard's review.


I love Beetlejuice! I loved it from the first moment I saw it, which I think was around 1992, as a video rental. I have watched it many times since then, and I never tire of it. It is amongst a handful of my all-time favourite movies. 

Beetlejuice Concept Art

It's hard to overestimate the influence of Beetlejuice. Tim Burton's aesthetic was indelibly stamped upon popular culture with that film and you don't need to look very far to see how it has inspired many artists and designers. In a recent interview with Los Angeles Times Hero Complex, Michael Keaton, who played Betelgeuse himself, described the movie this way:

“From an art perspective, I don’t know how you get better than ‘Beetlejuice.’ In terms of originality and a look, it’s 100% unique. If you consider the process of taking something from someone’s mind — meaning Tim — and putting it on the screen, I think that movie is incomparable.” 

Even more extraordinary is that Beetlejuice manages to be the very definition of a feel-good movie and yet a sweet, loving couple, desperate to start a family, die in an automobile accident within the first 10 minutes, and it is utterly chock-full of corpses in various states of decay and dismemberment. It is an amazing fusion of darkness, explosive colour, humour, horror, fashion, art and music.


Beetlejuice may have some very '80s elements like big hair, Laura Ashley prints, and high-end Japanese designer fashion, but somehow the mix of the Maitland's rustic wardrobe with the avant-garde pretensions of Delia's clothes, and Lydia's goth ensembles, create a visual potpourri that transcends the decade it was made. Even the choice of Harry Belafonte's infectiously joyful calypso tunes for the movie soundtrack add to its timeless quality. I recently read some criticism of Beetlejuice suggesting the special effects were terribly dated now. In fact, Tim Burton intended the special effects to resemble the style of the B movies he grew up with:

"I wanted to make them look cheap and purposely fake-looking."

With the proliferation of slick CGI effects today, the crude stop-motion animation, prosthetic makeup and puppetry in Beetlejuice take on an even greater charm.


But I think what ultimately makes Beetlejuice an enduring classic is its theme of tolerance and acceptance. In reality, the worlds of people like the Maitlands and the Deetzes would hardly be likely to overlap. Delia and her decorator, Otho, are openly contemptuous about what they perceive as the Maitland's complete lack of style, while the deceased, yet houseproud, Barbara and Adam, are in turn horrified by the transformation of their cosy New England home into a piece of modern art. Attitudes begin to change, however, as the Maitland's affection grows for neglected and angst-ridden teen, Lydia Deetz. Betelgeuse unwittingly facilitates the eventual accord between the two families, when they are forced to team up against him.


The compromise between the Maitlands and the Deetzes is humorously, and somewhat poignantly, summed up in the closing moments of the film, as Charles Deetz reads the companion literature to the Maitland's, Handbook for the Recently Deceased: The Living and the Dead - Harmonious lifestyles and peaceful co-existence.

For me, Beetlejuice is not just the ghost with the most, but also the movie with the most!

And now for Maynard's review:


BEETLEJUICE

German Title: Lottergeist Beetlejuice

[Lottergeist is a made-up word that is hard to translate. It means something like 'rambling ghost', or 'rascal ghost']



USA, 1988

Director: Tim Burton


9/10

It was in 1990 or 1991 when my parents signed up for a membership at one of our local video rental stores for their very first time, and I still remember that day. It was cold and rainy day in Spring when we entered this uber-outstanding world that seemed to consist of millions of VHS covers, a world I completely and utterly fell in love with, a world that became my favorite "hang-out place" during my childhood.



One of the very first movies my parents ever rented was "Beetlejuice", and they only rented it because the owner recommended it to us (Thanks to Mr. Klaus!). The whole family loved it, though my parents weren't as enthusiastic about it as I was. I adored it. "Beetlejuice" blew me away. I didn't understand the whole thing, but that didn't matter because I've never seen so many weird creatures and monsters and ghosts etc, I just HAD to love it.





I remember that me, little motormouth, was constantly talking about it, bugging my parents and my schoolfellows with spontaneous exclamations like "Beetlejuice is the best movie of all time!", "Nothing is better than Beetlejuice!" etc. Forgive me, I was 8-9 years old. ;-D



Unfortunately, for reasons I'm not sure of, I've never seen it again. It was regularly on TV, the VHS was always on the top rear of the rental store until it shut its doors, and over the years I met a few people who were huge Tim-Burton-fans and loved the hell out of that movie - yet, I never got the chance to rewatch it. UNTIL NOW!



Yes, more than 20 years after I first saw it, I finally got the chance to see it again - and guess what? Yup, it still kicks ass! "Beetlejuice" is undoubtedly one of the freakiest, most original and most inventive films in history, and I guess it's also Burton's best film to date (next to "Ed Wood" and "Sweeney Todd"). Who would have thought that the afterlife could be so much fun?



From the first to the last minute, the audience gets overloaded and blown away by shitloads of eye-gougingly awesome images and visuals, stuff that probably came right out of a super-wacky but also pretty genius mind. Tim Burton is an awkward guy, and I've never been a fan of his persona, but hell, he has one hell of an eye for style, colours and wild, weird imagery.





There's the idyllic country home that gets converted into an architectural nightmare, the Dalí-like parallel dimension that is roamed by bizarre giant sandworms, the quite amusing "afterlife waiting room" or the attic with the gorgeous miniature-model of the town.
 We get briefly introduced to many funny ghosts of recently deceased peeps, such as the guy with the shrunken head, the redhead who slit her wrists, the woman who's cut in half, or the "road kill man" who's "feeling a little flat".



The obvious highlight of the movies is "Beetlejuice" (or Betelgeuse) himself. Michael Keaton's performance as the "afterlife's leading Bio-Exorcist" is so fucking awesome, I daresay that it's his best role he ever did. Beetlejuice is a real pain in the ass, an unnerving clown, a whirlwind of tomfoolery, zaniness, rude and crude behavior - and that's exactly why he's so adorable. That, and the fact that he can transform into whatever he wants, such as a huge Beetle-Snake or a "living carousel".





Surprisingly, most of the other actors / characters are equally amazing: Geena Davis (love of my youth) and Alec Baldwin are admirable as the recently deceased and pretty helpless couple, Jeffrey Jones and Catherine O'Hara are fantastic as uber-odd couple, Winona Ryder (another love of my youth) is simply god-like as angst-ridden teen goth, and Glenn Shadix is outrageous as grumpy interior designer.



Other highlights: Davis / Baldwin transforming into skeletons, the green-light door, the car crash, Dante's Inferno room, every single make-up effect, every single special effect, and the infamous Banana Boat (Day-O) scene.





A wonderful 80s classic, a horror-comedy masterpiece, a movie without equal. Beetlejuice rocks!!



* * * * * * *

If you'd like to see my previous collaboration with Maynard, you can check out our joint post on The Addams Family here and on Maynard's blog, here.

And if you haven't already discovered Maynard Morrissey's Horror Movie Diary... well, what are you waiting for? 



45 comments:

  1. Doubl Yay for our super-awesome Double post... again! :D

    Thanks you, Emma, it was a delightful pleasure to team up with you a second time. Can't wait for collabo #3!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maynard! And right back at you!!! ❤

      Delete
  2. A very enjoyable "Beetlejuice" post dear lady Emma...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never fail to fill my day with lots of eye candy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... you never fail to make my day with your sweet comments, Laury! ❤

      Delete
  4. It's been ages since I watched Bettlejuice, it might have to be my Beltane pleasure tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll never regret a little 'Beetlejuice', Ms Misantropia! Go for it!! :D

      Delete
  5. Beetlejuice was my first introduction to Tim Burton. I've loved his work ever since! One of my favorite scenes (there are many) has to be the crazy collection of characters in the waiting room! For years my husband and I have wanted to build a smoking (not smokin:-))skeleton for our haunt. "Nice f*^&ing model, honk honk" Loved that!

    Well written guys, really enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Seeing Things! :) I love all the characters in the Afterlife Waiting Room too! I think my favourite is the guy with the shrunken head. I laugh just thinking about him!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I hope you and your husband get around to making the smoking skeleton for your haunt! That would be beyond awesome! :D

      Delete
  6. A great collaboration!

    I adore Beetlejuice and anything Burtonesque.

    Thank you for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, My Haunted Attic! Yes, I adore anything Burtonesque too, and 'Beetlejuice' really embodies all the trademark characteristics of Tim Burton's style!

      Delete
  7. It's been years since I've seen the movie! I'm going to put it on my list of things to watch/read/do once I have a bit more time! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Insomniac's Attic,

      I know that must be a long list because you've been so busy. I hope you get to see it again when things settle down a bit. :)

      Delete
  8. I must have been in diapers when I first watched 'Beetlejuice' and have been in love with it ever since, I wore out the vhs tape because I watched it so much. I also had quite a few Beetlejuice toys & various merchandise including a Beetlejuice lunchbox I wish I still had. It is still one of my favorite movies of all time, it always makes me laugh even though I've heard all the jokes about 150 times at this point. To this day I regularly search the internet for Beetlejuice memorabilia I can get my hands on. Ugh, this is such a fabulous movie. I love your post.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Honeysuckelle,

      Aww... thank you! I had a great time working on this post with Maynard because, like you, I adore 'Beetlejuice'. I was older than you when I saw the movie, so I missed the toys and merchandise, but I can imagine they would have been so cool! I do collect some 'Beetlejuice' memorabilia now though. My replica copy of the 'Handbook for the Recently Deceased' is one of my most prized possessions! :)

      Delete
  9. I know this movie inside and out and it started my love with Tim Burton. I can't tell you how many times I watched this movie as a kid after my parents took me to see it at the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,

      "I know this movie inside and out and it started my love with Tim Burton." Yes, exactly the same for me! :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Hi Lydia Deetz is the best character.

      Well, I sure do! ;)

      Delete
    2. Me too. Little Gothic Horrors, do you have a google +?

      Delete
    3. This is my google plus name and avator.

      Delete
    4. Hi Lydia Deetz,

      I haven't joined up with Google+ yet. I've just been too busy to even look into it. If I end up getting around to it though, I'll definitely connect with you there! :)

      Delete
  11. Favorite Character: Lydia Deetz- Woina Ryder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had 7 years old the first time I watched the movie, and I loved it. One of my fave movies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morrigan,

      Yes, one of my all-time faves! :)

      Delete
  13. nothing could ever beat beetlejuice to me. LOVE him in every way and always will. <3
    you got me nodding through the entire blogpost XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kakuidori,

      Yep, couldn't agree more, nothing beats 'Beetlejuice'! :D

      Delete
  14. I only recently saw this film, for the first time in my life! I roared with laughter when the couple were reading "Handbook for the Recently Deceased" and oh yes the "look" of the film is so unique and original - thank you for this fantastic post!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pull Your Socks Up!,

      Oh, I'm glad you finally got around to seeing it! I would have had to start nagging you to watch it otherwise. ;)

      Delete
  15. I love Tim Burton. Beetlejuice is one of his few films I grew up on since my parents aren't very big Burton fans. It was in my late teens that I really got to know and love his other work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,

      I'm a big Tim Burton fan, but 'Beetlejuice' does hold an extra special place in my heart. :)

      Delete
  16. Gothic horrors, this is my blog Lydia Deetz. Jack Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no you didn't say his name three times, yikes, lol. I really like the drawings, they are fantastic. I love this movie and will have to eventually get me a copy of the "Handbook for the Recently Deceased" book. It would look good on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,

      Hehe. We said his name three times, twice! Maynard and I like to live dangerously! ;)

      The drawings are Tim Burton's concept artwork. They're awesome, aren't they?!

      Yes, you've got to get hold of a copy of the 'Handbook for the Recently Deceased'. This is where I got my one:

      http://www.etsy.com/listing/85450557/blank-book-journal-handbook-for-the?ref=shop_home_active

      Delete
  18. I adore "Beetlejuice"! I think it's Michael Keaton's best movie. I really enjoyed the review and all the great pics. Thanks!
    Looking forward to the MMM blog hop! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lexa,

      Thank you! :) Looking forward to catching up with you during the MMM festivities!

      Delete
  19. Love, love, love, LOVE!! Beetlejuice! It's one of my all time favorite childhood movies. I have the whole movie memorized (kind of) and I use a lot of the awesome one-liners in normal conversations. :)

    You seriously can't get any better than Beetlejuice. It has to be one of Tim Burton's best movies ever.

    "It's showtime!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,

      Haha. Yeah, I know you're a hardcore 'Beetlejuice' fan like me! Yay!

      Delete
  20. Late to this party, but I LOVE Beetlejuice and this is a really fantastic post. I'm giving it a shout out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the shout out, Melissa! I always have a great time collaborating with my buddy, Maynard! :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!