Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Henry: The Heart Boy


After several weeks of sleepless nights, thanks to a relentless heat wave in Melbourne and the incessant barking, from dusk 'til dawn, of a neighbour's dog, I've been in a bit of a crappy mood of late. Over the past week however, the hot weather has eased and a couple of fun packages arrived at my door to put a smile on my face. The little demon dog is still barking, but I guess you can't have everything, right? Anyway, I'll save the second package for another post, but the first treat in the mail was a delightfully dark picture book by illustrator and animator, Ken Turner.



I first stumbled upon Ken's art (here) back in April, 2012, when a Google search for the Dark Shadows movie turned up some of his caricatures of the cast. Since then he has completed an animated series called The World of Snowboy and Crow, and is now embarking upon a short animated film called Henry: The Heart Boy, based upon the very book I purchased from his online shop. Ken also generously sent along some extra goodies with my book, including cards and prints featuring his wonderful illustrations.


Henry: The Heart Boy is the story of a boy who, quite literally, offers his heart to another only to be rejected. Although hearts being ripped from chests may sound like pretty dark subject matter, it's a poignant and fun Beetlejuice-y style of macabre. I won't give anything away, but I absolutely loved the ending and I really can't wait to see how this tale is translated to film.



If you're a fan of Tim Burton, Charles Addams, Edward Gorey or Ronald Searle, like I am, Ken's illustrative style is bound to appeal to you. You can see more of his work via the Ken Turner blog.


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book!
    It's strange to hear about your heat wave, since we were hit with a blizzard last night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Misantropia,

      Yes, it's an adorable book!

      I keep thinking if we could just send you some of our heat and you could just send us a little of your cold... maybe we'd all have pleasanter weather. ;)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the 17th has arrived and still things seem crappy. I thought it was all supposed to get better after then! At least you got some nice packages!

    I find the Snowboy and Crow Art very appealing. I started following Mr. Turner's blog and from there discovered another artist's blog called The Happy Undertaker, which I also love! It's great discovering new artists, so finding two new ones courtesy of your post was awesome. Thanks, Emma! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Insomniac's Attic,

      Yes, I've noticed plenty of people, both online and offline, who've been a bit down lately. If Mercury Retrograde is to blame, I hope things start to settle soon! :)

      I agree, Ken's Snowboy and Crow art is so endearing! It's probably my favourite amongst his artwork. I follow The Happy Undertaker too, and yes, his art is awesome as well! If you're new to that blog, you may not have seen this gif Drazen made:

      http://happyundertaker.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/sunset.html

      It's so gorgeously mesmerizing. I'm kind of obsessed with it. Haha.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi zombydolls,

      Yes, I think they're darkly charming! :)

      Delete
  4. Your barking dog fiasco has me thinking of this old commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkrTWcGZ-tM

    That's the name your neighbor's dog should have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine,

      HA! Yeah, "Barky von Schnauzer" is very appropriate, or Barky von Jack Russell in his particular case. His name is actually Spike and he is MENTAL! He doesn't just bark, he runs in and out of his house all night, so we hear the slap of his doggie door between him running around the yard barking and then running around inside barking. The owners aren't living there at the moment for some reason. Someone seems to be feeding the dog and collecting the mail, but they've been very stealthy about it because we've never seen them. We've reported it to the council but apparently we are in a queue with 600 complaints, about other dogs barking in the local area, ahead of us. *sigh*

      Delete
  5. Awwe! That book sounds so cute! My five year old nephew is a heart boy. He recieved a heart transplant when he was three weeks old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,

      Oh, that's right! Your sweet little nephew is a "heart boy" too! Yes, this book is very cute and has the most gorgeous ending! :)

      Delete
  6. Very, very cool! Love the pic where he paints Munch's scream :)

    Gaah, so jealous about your heat. It's still soooo damn cold here around *brrrr*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Maynard,

      Yeah, I love the Scream picture too. In fact, between the heat and the dog, I can relate to Munch's Screamer quite a lot at the moment! Hehe.

      I keep saying, you need to toss me over a couple of snowballs, and I'll send you a box of sunshine, then maybe we'll end up with a happy medium. ;)

      Delete
  7. When does it usually get warm/hot in Melbourne? I always wanted to go there! Lucky you, you live there. :P

    Ken is a fantastic and creative artist! I wish I could draw. ;[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zena,

      Don't you live in Florida? Your weather is probably pretty similar to ours, maybe even warmer than Melbourne. Our seasons are the opposite of yours, so we're in autumn now, but it's unusually warm for this time of year. It's going to be around 34 Celsius/93 Fahrenheit over the next couple of days, which is very strange for March.

      Yes, Ken really is an awesome artist! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!