Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy Birthday, Charles Addams!

Charles Addams Tribute Painting by Pete Von Sholly















The birthday of Charles Addams, one of my creative idols, falls so close to the beginning of the year that I am able to make it the subject of my very first post for 2013. For me, the perfect way to embark upon the next 12 months. It also gives me a great excuse to share a painting I love by artist, Pete Von Sholly.

Charles "Chas" Addams was born on January 7, 1912, in Westfield, New Jersey, and died on September 29, 1988. Von Sholly's amusing and poignant tribute shows the cartoonist, and creator of The Addams Family, looking down benevolently upon his creations after having been called forth during a seance.


14 comments:

  1. How cool...almost on my birthday to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, Ked!

      By the way, do you watch 'The Walking Dead'? Norman Reedus, who plays Daryl Dixon, shares your January 6th birthday! :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi occhio sulle espressioni,

      I agree, it's an awesome painting and a lovely tribute to the great Charles Addams! :)

      Delete
  3. Great way to start the countdown to Halloween 2013 too I must say. Happy Birthday to Chuck and Wicked.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point, Ali! The birthday of Charles Addams, for me, is the perfect way to begin the countdown to Halloween 2013! :D

      Delete
  4. Yay, happy birthday Mr. Addams! and what an awesome-looking painting this is! It captures Addams' style in a highly impressive way, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maynard,

      Yes, Pete Von Sholly has captured Charles Addams' drawing style very well! I love the whole concept of the Addams Family having a life of their own and going on after the passing of their creator, and Charles Addams' pleasure as he surveys the legacy he left behind. It's really touching. :)

      Delete
  5. Awwww, look at Thing participating in the séance! How adorable!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Insomniac's Attic,

      I know! I love that the artist included Thing! Plus, there's the peeper hiding under the table. :D

      Delete
  6. A Happy 101th birthday to a great man whose often "twisted" cartoons have brought joy to so many...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 101th Birthday, Charles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by to celebrate, Julie! :)

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts and I always reply to comments so check back in a couple of days or click "Notify me" in the comment box to receive follow-up comments by email.