Friday, May 4, 2012

May Monster Madness - Frankenweenie


For day four of May Monster Madness, the "monster" I'm featuring is a dog named Sparky.

Tim Burton's upcoming black and white stop motion-animated film, Frankenweenie, is the story of Victor, a young boy who uses science to bring his beloved dog, Sparky, back from death. Frankenweenie is inspired by the 1931 film, Frankenstein, starring Boris Karloff, which in turn is based on the 1818 novel by Mary Shelley. As you can see in the picture below, Sparky even gets his own doggie "Bride", complete with the iconic Elsa Lanchester hairdo.



Both a parody of, and an homage to Frankenstein, Tim Burton's, Frankenweenie is actually a feature length remake of a black and white short film he made in 1984. The short, which was live action, starred Shelley Duvall, Daniel Stern, and Barret Oliver.




The voice cast of the 2012 remake includes a number of actors who have worked previously with Tim Burton, like Catherine O'Hara, Winona Ryder, Martin Landau, Martin Short, and Conchata Ferrell. Plus, Christopher Lee, another Burton regular, will apparently be making an uncredited cameo as Dracula in a movie scene playing on television.

Frankenweenie is due for release in October.

14 comments:

  1. I got a chance to see the original short with an audience for the first time last summer when I caught the Tim Burton exhibit in Toronto. It was just a small flatscreen on the wall, surrounded by artwork, but it was magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,

      Oh, I agree, it was magic! So charming and poignant! Fortunately, I was able to see the short via YouTube. We were lucky enough to get the Tim Burton exhibition in Melbourne, but it was too crowded to be able to see it there properly.

      Delete
  2. Saw the preview last night at the movies, looks funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,

      Dark and funny! Just the way I like it!! :)

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see this one ~ looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali,

      Yes, I love stop motion, and the feature length means they will be able to expand on the ideas in the short film. Really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  4. I wish Tim Burton would stick to these art projects instead of remakes with Johnny Depp. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Autumn,

      Oh, I'm looking forward to 'Dark Shadows' just as much as 'Frankenweenie'! I loved the trailers I saw for 'Dark Shadows', and I just hope the movie lives up to my expectations now. I like dark, silly humour. Maybe I'm just odd... Ha! On second thoughts, there's no "maybe" about it! ;)

      Delete
  5. I love Tim Burton and can't wait to see Frankenweenie and Dark Shadows.
    Have a fun weekend with the monsters! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cayce,

      Yep, I love Tim Burton too! You have a fun weekend with the monsters as well! :D

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Lady Bethezda,

      Yeah, me too! So many fun movies to see this year!! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!