Monday, July 25, 2011

Candles and Cobwebs

The beautiful photo of a spider's web in my previous post, reminded me of the 1979 film, Dracula, starring Frank Langella. There is a visually stunning aerial shot of a spider crawling over its web as Lucy, beneath, makes her way further into Dracula's snare. 

Personally, although I have always enjoyed the Dracula story, I don't subscribe to the notion of the Count as a romantic hero. He certainly knows how to charm the ladies, but his motives are always completely selfish. Call me crazy, but I just don't find statements like "You shall cross land or sea to do my bidding" particularly alluring. However, I will say that Langella's Dracula certainly knows how to set the scene for a dinner date. The Count transforms the decaying ruins of Carfax into a dark, gothic masterpiece of interior decoration with little more than copious quantities of candles and cobwebs.

8 comments:

  1. Cobwebs and candles--doesn't get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine a Halloween party in a setting like these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes what a gorgeous setting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These interiors, plus your exteriors... just a perfect gothic world, Donna!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be my dream studio to work in....candles and cobwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, what an inspiring spot for creating!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!