Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lack of Acknowledgement for Genre Television at The Emmy Awards

I stumbled across a great article, from the Los Angeles Times, discussing the manner in which the Emmys, more often than not, snub all the excellent genre shows on television. I couldn't agree more with Mary McNamara's assessment, particularly her observation that John Noble, from Fringe, richly deserves a nomination for his performance.

As I'm not especially interested in the fashions on the red carpet (I know, apparently I missed that memo on compulsory female predilections), I rarely watch the awards shows because the television I like is virtually never represented. If you're interested, you can read the article here.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I never really thought of that before but it is so true! I would much rather watch decent fantasy, sci-fi or horror shows than normal trendy rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a shame that quality shows often don't get the recognition they deserve if they are genre rather than mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not since the X-Files has a show like that really raked in the Emmys--even when deserved. BTVS was often overlooked, too, despite strong episodes in seaons 4 and 5 that could have easily earned Emmy nods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sadly the Emmy wins of 'The X-Files' are especially memorable because they are such an aberration from the typical pattern.

    Buffy's 'Hush' episode was not only entertaining and especially creepy, but was considered to be groundbreaking in many ways. I admit that I'm extremely biased when it comes to genre shows but I find the cringe-factor towards sci-fi/horror, etc. is just ludicrous. Apparently imagination and innovation just aren't sophisticated enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!